Few reputable contractors in our area offer services for minor projects/repairs. We do! Hiring us to tackle those smaller carpentry repairs, or keep up with those all-important maintenance activities frees up your time to focus on things other than that honey-do list.
How much does hiring a handyman typically cost?
Industry averages start somewhere between $50 to $100/hour, usually with a minimum threshold. We offer our services on a pre-pay basis (less the cost of any materials/rental equipment), with hourly rates starting at $65/hour. Contact us today for more information, and discover how we can tailor a package of services to fit your needs!
Getting the Most From Your Handyman Project
Hiring a handyman is almost always cheaper than calling on a contractor. In addition, here are some cost-saving strategies to consider:
Have the whole “Honey-Do” List:
Almost all Handymen have a minimum charge. This means that even if the task takes 20 minutes, you are likely to be charged for a full hour, etc. Make sure you have a full list of activities planned to make the most of the technicians time, and maximize your spend.
Keep in mind that hiring a handyman is a great way to save money in the long run. When you address minor problems before they get worse, you can prevent a need to involve a contractor later on.
Communicate and Plan:
Emailing and/or sending photos of each project can give technicians a better understanding of what tools and materials to bring.
Attention to Detail:
For example, if you want the technician to paint an accent wall in your home, tell them the wall size, exact paint color and paint sheen, and indicate if you need any touch-ups to your drywall before painting. Providing as much detail as possible makes the technician more efficient, which saves you money.
Almost always, our technicians will have universal supplies on hand. These can include nails, screws, nuts and bolts, seals, gaskets and other basic building supplies.
However, be sure to describe your job and the materials needed clearly so the technicians can prepare before arriving at your home. If you’re not familiar with the job or the materials required, please send a photo of the project to help the technician evaluate what may be needed.
When your project requires additional supplies, the purchase of job materials can be handled in several ways. Most times, we will purchase and incorporate the cost of goods into your final bill. In other instances, there are two general scenarios we encounter:
- A) We purchase the material and incorporates cost of goods into bill, but based on the special or unforeseen circumstances, we would have to charge an hourly rate for “shopping” for the materials. These circumstances usually require use of specialized equipment, or for us to leave our primary service area.
- B) Customers sometime purchase materials before the contractor arrives for the job. If you prefer this option, and for whatever reason the material cannot be used, or are incorrect for your application, you will be charged for the technicians visit, and potentially forced to reschedule your service.
Because our technician must come to you to do the work required, if you are located outside of our primary service area, travel time, fuel, and/or mileage fees may apply.
What kinds of jobs would a handyman typically do?
Here are just a few examples of activities that would fall under a Handyman’s area of expertise:
- Custom Furnishing/Décor – Incl. Furniture; Barn Doors; Sm. Cabinets etc
- Custom Organizing Solutions – Shelving/Storage/Sheds etc.
- Drop Ceilings
- Drywall Repair / Texture
- Fascia / Soffit Installation and Repair
- Filter Replacements
- Fixture Upgrades – Lighting & Ceiling Fans / Plumbing
- Flooring Installation
- Furniture Assembly
- Garage/Shop Finishing
- Garbage Disposal Installation
- Gutter Cleaning
- Interior / Exterior Painting & Staining
- Landscape Maintenance – Incl. Shrub & Sm. Tree Trimming / Removal
- Millwork – Baseboard, Casing, Crown Moulding, Paneling
- Power Washing
- Smoke/CO2 Detector Installation
- Tiling – Bathrooms / Backsplashes / Fireplaces
- Toilet Repair / Replacement
- TV Mounting
- Vent Cleaning / Replacement
- Window Treatments…